IN CONVERSATION WITH ADV THAPELO MATSWIKI

Loading player...
In a developing story we’ve been following closely, the Forum for South Africa (FOSA) has received a response from the Department of Small Business Development — but not without frustration.
Following FOSA's formal memorandum and a legal threat issued earlier this week, the department finally responded today, the very day the deadline expired. This last-minute communication came only after FOSA's Head of Legal, Advocate Matswiki, notified the department on Monday that legal action would be initiated if no reply was received by the end of the day.
While the department has now agreed to a meeting with FOSA, the organisation believes this is nothing more than a delay tactic — designed to stall rather than address their demand for accountability regarding the issue of illegal spaza shops and the loss of young lives linked to them.
According to FOSA, the department’s response is strategic and evasive, as it shifts responsibility to local municipalities. This comes despite previous communication from the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (CoGTA), Minister Hlabisa, who clearly referred the matter to the Minister of Small Business Development, stating it falls under her portfolio.
FOSA has expressed disappointment that Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams did not engage directly with the matter and instead delegated it to the Director-General. That official only responded today, right as the legal clock was about to run out.
Still, in the interest of justice for families who have lost loved ones — and to ensure no legal loopholes remain — FOSA has agreed to attend the upcoming meeting with the department. As their statement outlines, “If we go to court now and avoid the meeting, we would not have closed all the gaps.”
FOSA insists it remains fully committed to taking the matter to court but wants to ensure its case is water-tight before filing. “We have dedicated the resources to this matter,” the organisation said, “so we will cover every corner so that our matter can please the courts.”
Importantly, FOSA highlights that both the Minister of Small Business Development and the Minister of CoGTA have so far failed to take full accountability. Nonetheless, FOSA will attend the department’s meeting in the coming days as a final step before proceeding with legal action.
📄 Note: FOSA has stated that the official response letter from the department is available upon request
25 Jul 2025 English South Africa Entertainment News · Music Interviews

Other recent episodes

IN CONVERSATION WITH INNOCENT MOLOI

A Muslim social worker’s firearm licence application was reportedly rejected after she was allegedly told that her application photograph, in which she was wearing a hijab, “may not be accepted”. The incident has raised questions about whether South African law allows religious head coverings in firearm licence photographs and whether…
19 Aug 7 min

IN CONVERSATION WITH REFILOE NT'SEKHE

The Gauteng Department of Social Development has 170 critical frontline posts currently vacant, including 102 social worker positions and 74 child and youth care worker positions. These professionals provide essential services to vulnerable residents, including children affected by abuse and neglect, victims of gender-based violence, older people and communities dealing…
19 Aug 9 min

IN CONVERSATION WITH Onwabile Lubhelwana

The Gauteng Department of Education is investigating allegations of sexual harassment involving an educator and a 17-year-old Grade 12 learner at Minerva Secondary School. According to the department, the alleged inappropriate communication between the educator and the learner began in June 2026 and reportedly continued through WhatsApp and other interactions…
19 Aug 7 min

IN CONVERSATION WITH TIEGO KHOZA- POLITICAL ANALYST

Today’s proceedings at the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry placed alleged underworld figure Vusimuzi “Cat” Matlala firmly in the spotlight. Appearing under subpoena at the Brigitte Mabandla Justice College in Pretoria, Matlala repeatedly invoked his constitutional right against self-incrimination when questioned about the controversial R360 million SAPS Medicare24 tender, a contract…
18 Aug 8 min

IN CONVERSATION WITH PHUTHANANG MOTSIELWA- TAX EXPERT

South Africa’s gig economy is expanding rapidly, with more people earning money outside their monthly salaries through Uber driving, freelancing, content creation, tutoring, or selling products online. SARS requires all of this income to be declared, regardless of the amount. Failure to declare can lead to audits, penalties, and backdated…
18 Aug 16 min