IN CONVERSATION WITH STEVE MABONA.

Loading player...
A Grade 10 learner from Orange Farm Secondary School in Gauteng has tragically passed away after consuming snacks allegedly purchased from a spaza shop near her home.
Gauteng Education MEC Matome Chiloane confirmed that the learner fell ill shortly after eating the snacks and was taken to a local clinic, where she was pronounced dead.
The school was informed of the incident several days later.
“We extend our heartfelt condolences to the family, the school community, and all those affected by this tragic incident,” said MEC Chiloane.
In response to the incident, Chiloane called for increased vigilance and urged parents, learners, and communities to avoid purchasing food from unauthorised spaza shops or unregulated vendors, warning that such food items pose serious health risks.
“It is unfortunate that we continue to witness tragic outcomes from consuming unauthorised or unverified food items. We urge communities to exercise caution and protect our children from preventable harm, especially from unauthorised spaza shops,” added MEC Chiloane.
In a separate incident last month, a Grade 11 learner from Lesedi Secondary School in Lethabong, Pretoria East, was fatally stabbed by a schoolmate.
Chiloane said the attack was allegedly carried out by a Grade 12 learner who had not attended school that day.
Preliminary reports indicate that the assailant arrived after hours, as students were preparing to board their scholar transport, and stabbed the Grade 11 learner just outside the school yard.
The victim was rushed to Lethabong Healthcare Clinic, where he was declared dead on arrival.
4 Jul 2025 English South Africa Entertainment News · Music Interviews

Other recent episodes

IN CONVERSATION WITH THAKHANI KHOROMMBI

Health experts and government officials are calling for a stronger focus on prevention, healthier lifestyle choices and harm reduction as South Africa continues to face a growing burden of chronic diseases. The call was made at the Wellness Collective Summit, hosted by WomenCan at Pere House on Tuesday. The event…
19 Aug 14 min

IN CONVERSATION WITH INNOCENT MOLOI

A Muslim social worker’s firearm licence application was reportedly rejected after she was allegedly told that her application photograph, in which she was wearing a hijab, “may not be accepted”. The incident has raised questions about whether South African law allows religious head coverings in firearm licence photographs and whether…
19 Aug 7 min

IN CONVERSATION WITH REFILOE NT'SEKHE

The Gauteng Department of Social Development has 170 critical frontline posts currently vacant, including 102 social worker positions and 74 child and youth care worker positions. These professionals provide essential services to vulnerable residents, including children affected by abuse and neglect, victims of gender-based violence, older people and communities dealing…
19 Aug 9 min

IN CONVERSATION WITH Onwabile Lubhelwana

The Gauteng Department of Education is investigating allegations of sexual harassment involving an educator and a 17-year-old Grade 12 learner at Minerva Secondary School. According to the department, the alleged inappropriate communication between the educator and the learner began in June 2026 and reportedly continued through WhatsApp and other interactions…
19 Aug 7 min

IN CONVERSATION WITH TIEGO KHOZA- POLITICAL ANALYST

Today’s proceedings at the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry placed alleged underworld figure Vusimuzi “Cat” Matlala firmly in the spotlight. Appearing under subpoena at the Brigitte Mabandla Justice College in Pretoria, Matlala repeatedly invoked his constitutional right against self-incrimination when questioned about the controversial R360 million SAPS Medicare24 tender, a contract…
18 Aug 8 min