IN CONVERSATION WITH Lieutenant Colonel Amanda van Wyk (Police spokesperson)

Loading player...
The South African Police Service (SAPS) has confiscated counterfeit goods valued at more than R20 million in a major operation conducted in Bruma, east of Johannesburg.
Police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Amanda van Wyk said the high-impact raid involved multiple law enforcement and regulatory agencies, including the Hawks, Crime Intelligence, SARS Customs, Home Affairs, and private security companies.
The coordinated operation led to the arrest of 35 individuals. “One suspect was arrested for contravening the Counterfeit Goods Act, while 34 foreign nationals were detained for immigration-related violations,” said van Wyk.
Authorities seized over 24,000 counterfeit items, ranging from fake branded clothing and shoes to handbags, perfumes, jewellery, and cellphone accessories. The operation followed the execution of search and seizure warrants under the Customs and Excise Act and the Counterfeit Goods Act.
Van Wyk emphasized that SAPS remains committed to cracking down on the illegal counterfeit trade to protect consumers, safeguard legitimate businesses, and uphold economic integrity.
This latest seizure follows a nationwide crackdown last month in which SAPS confiscated counterfeit goods worth more than R50 million. That operation included a bust on illicit cigarettes valued at R4.5 million.
Van Wyk said that takedown targeted retail outlets in Pretoria Central, Centurion, and Brits in the North West province. “Over 2,000 items were seized, including high-end counterfeit clothing, accessories, and toys,” she added.
During those raids, three Bangladeshi nationals were arrested for contravening the Immigration Act
26 May 2025 English South Africa Entertainment News · Music Interviews

Other recent episodes

IN CONVERSATION WITH THAKHANI KHOROMMBI

Health experts and government officials are calling for a stronger focus on prevention, healthier lifestyle choices and harm reduction as South Africa continues to face a growing burden of chronic diseases. The call was made at the Wellness Collective Summit, hosted by WomenCan at Pere House on Tuesday. The event…
19 Aug 14 min

IN CONVERSATION WITH INNOCENT MOLOI

A Muslim social worker’s firearm licence application was reportedly rejected after she was allegedly told that her application photograph, in which she was wearing a hijab, “may not be accepted”. The incident has raised questions about whether South African law allows religious head coverings in firearm licence photographs and whether…
19 Aug 7 min

IN CONVERSATION WITH REFILOE NT'SEKHE

The Gauteng Department of Social Development has 170 critical frontline posts currently vacant, including 102 social worker positions and 74 child and youth care worker positions. These professionals provide essential services to vulnerable residents, including children affected by abuse and neglect, victims of gender-based violence, older people and communities dealing…
19 Aug 9 min

IN CONVERSATION WITH Onwabile Lubhelwana

The Gauteng Department of Education is investigating allegations of sexual harassment involving an educator and a 17-year-old Grade 12 learner at Minerva Secondary School. According to the department, the alleged inappropriate communication between the educator and the learner began in June 2026 and reportedly continued through WhatsApp and other interactions…
19 Aug 7 min

IN CONVERSATION WITH TIEGO KHOZA- POLITICAL ANALYST

Today’s proceedings at the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry placed alleged underworld figure Vusimuzi “Cat” Matlala firmly in the spotlight. Appearing under subpoena at the Brigitte Mabandla Justice College in Pretoria, Matlala repeatedly invoked his constitutional right against self-incrimination when questioned about the controversial R360 million SAPS Medicare24 tender, a contract…
18 Aug 8 min